Our Juice and Smoothies

Tuesday 3 January 2012

superfoods

I was recently in line up for soup at Whole Foods and I overheard a mother explaining to her two sons that beans are a superfood.  This little dialogue really peaked my interest.  I had always understood that superfoods were only exceptional and uncommon foods.  I wondered where this woman was getting her information and did a little search when I got home.


::  photo source  ::

I quickly discovered on my very first Google search of superfoods that most commonly lists from health food professionals include beans.  In fact the things that I considered superfoods were not in some of the top results.  I wondered why that was.

I don't dispute that beans are in fact a healthy food.  Those that live as vegetarians and vegans gain a lot from the benefits of having legumes in their diet.  They are rich in fiber and iron.  The thing is, I still don't consider beans a superfood.  In fact, keeping legumes including peanuts and soy out of my diet is one of the best things I can normally do for my body.  My skin is better, my weight goes down and I don't have all the uncomfortable digestive ailments that come with digesting beans.  I guess what makes me really wonder is how a food that can't be easily digested let alone eaten in its raw food state can be considered a superfood.  It sure isn't super for me.


::  photo source  ::

My experiences with superfoods are those that are promoted by most raw foodists.  Things like Maca, Acai and Spirulina are just a few of those most commonly listed.  Yet, I started to think about the raw food superfoods from the perspective of the bean lady.  For example, perhaps Spirulina isn't for everyone.  Last summer while running the Juice Caboose the one smoothie that proved to not be palatable for all was the Bluebonnet - Blueberries, Hemp Seeds, Spirulina, Vanilla Bean and Banana.  In addition to the very distinctive taste of Spriulina it also has very specific healing properties.  A few years ago I was using Spirulina as an iron supplement.  After an appointment with a Traditional Chinese Medicine doctor, I took her advice on trying Chlorella instead of Spirulina because Spirulina was cooling and Chlorella was neutral.  That small change made all the difference in my well being and the coldness that I had long experienced went away.      

The conclusion that I've come to is that diets and foods are a lot like fashion or music.  There is no one diet or food that is perfect for everyone.  There is no one diet or food that without exception all people on the planet could equally thrive on.  There truly isn't one list of foods that everyone should eat.  Someone that doesn't have my DNA, my chemical makeup, my food intolerances and my blood type probably thrives on a high legume, vegan diet.  But this little belly does not.  And of course, my passion for coconut in all it's forms - butter, oil and as a refreshing, alkalinizing and hydrating drink does not without exception please others.  


::  photo source  ::

In the end I think it's best that we all figure out what are own superfoods are.  For my family our superfoods include coconut oil and water, watermelon, berries, blue green algae and green leafy vegetables for Green Smoothies.  It took me many years of experimenting to know that and I guess that is my best recommendation for all.  Sure you can Google and check out lots of sites and books and professional opinions about what you 'should' be eating but when it comes down to it only you know what truly is best for you.  Use the sites and books and professional opinions as a starting point to try new things for their health benefits and what they have to offer to you.  Take your time.  Another great way to figure out what works for you is elimination.  Taking a specific food out of your diet for a time can speak volumes about its effects on you.  Again take your time.


::  photo source  ::

It's a New Year and another chance for us to fulfill our goals of eating better and taking care of ourselves.  Make this a chance to turn inwards and become more self aware and write the book on you and your ultimate diet full of superfoods.

Juicy Suzy

No comments:

Post a Comment